Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Healthy is the New Skinny.

Random thoughts on body shapes and body image...

During the past few years, I've noticed a definite shift in body image perceptions and what men and women find attractive.  For women, skinny is out.  Healthy is in.  People seem to be accepting that everyone's body shapes are simply different.  My healthy body may be curvy (and it is), yours might be straight.  I think the Dove Campaign for Real Beauty hit the nail on the head, showing women who are every size and shape loving their own bodies.  I don't personally know any women who simply want to be skinny now.  That seems to only be in style for models...and who even knows why?!  I love that men are noticing when women are far too slim and not finding it attractive.  It is allowing us (ladies) to feel beautiful regardless of size or shape.  I work out most days of the week.  I have hips.  I will always have them.  I could run miles each day and that's simply my body shape.  And that's OK.  :)

The same goes for men, I think.  I've had multiple discussions lately in which women have mentioned their attraction to HEALTHY men, but not BULKY men.  Sure, there are some exceptions, some women who like the body-builder physique. But most of my friends find that large-ness unnatural and not very attractive.  There is more focus on appreciating a man's natural body shape as well.  As long as he's healthy, we don't need men to look like they have to spend hours in the gym or get 'roided out to get "big".  It's simply not so attractive.

As a side note, the only time I tend to wish for another body shape is when I really love some fashionable item of clothing and it's simply made for someone straight and tall.  It's not a big deal, because there are SO many apparel options out there now for women of all shapes and sizes...trying to wear something shaped for a model-body will simply make me look silly instead of fashionable.  At the same time, I really wish there were high-end designers out there who held runway shows without the size 00 starved-looking models.  Show me clothing on women of various shapes and sizes.  Model those Victoria's Secret underwear on ladies shaped like those who actually buy it.  Show me how anybody of any size/shape can look amazingly in-style.  If someone would do that, I swear they'd have a giant following.  Maybe some designer does this and I'm not aware...but it's definitely needed.

Random thoughts over.   For now.


No comments:

Post a Comment