Monday, June 25, 2012

Year to Best: Act #1 - Expectations

In the past, I've had a small problem managing expectations.  I have quite high expectations for myself, so I tend to expect a lot (read: too much) of other people.  That can lead to definite disappointments.  I still struggle with it, and there are still times I think people need to hold themselves to a certain standard of personal responsibility or common courtesies.

However, I began my year of wellness by realizing I shouldn't expect anything around birthday time.  There have been years I expected (even though I told myself I didn't!) some level of attention, love, or creativity from friends, and that usually turned out badly.  Yuck.  I know, it sounds ridiculous, and it may be silly.

So this year, I decided that it was truly enough to just relax, read my book, watch some TV, have a nap, and enjoy my day.  And...it worked!  I loved my birthday, it felt cozy and just...nice.  

And as it turned out, I had plenty of birthday love, from friends who took me to the movies and got me some great gifts, my family who cooked me a terrific meal and had some other great gifts, and my husband who got me a delicious cake and had actually wanted to plan a trip or concert outing, until I decided to make it a calm one.  The better part was that I was more able to see the birthday love clearly and feel good about it, as I wasn't blocking anything with expectations or preconceived ideas.

So, good success on my first act of wellness, I think...this will be one to keep managing.  There's a certain level of behavior one wants to expect, but is that right?  I am still debating within myself...

No comments:

Post a Comment