Monday, June 25, 2012

Year to Best: Act #2 - Doctor, Doctor

Most of my friends and family members know that I am fairly terrified of doctors and dentists.  I don't know where the fear came from - I haven't had any horrendous experiences that I can recall.  I do have a bit of a needle phobia (not a fear of the pain, but the thought of something piercing skin makes me feel completely sick), and I don't like being poked and prodded.  I especially don't like dentists reaching into my mouth.  I know, it's strange for a 29-year-old, but it feels like an invasion of my personal space/body.  

So, I tend to avoid doctors.  I do my yearly exam, but that's it...typically, not even a full physical.  Clearly, it would be smart to start a year of wellness being aware of my body, health, and any issues that need to be addressed, so I made an appointment with a new Primary Care doctor (recommended by a friend for her attentive manner).  I had a few concerns to address with the doctor, but nothing life-threatening.  I knew I'd have to get bloodwork done, so I took Wes along to steel me for the dreaded needles.  I basically said yes to every test the doctor suggested, so I could get it done in one visit.  It wasn't fun, but I did leave feeling more confident in my overall health.  Labs come back within two weeks, so we'll see how those stack up.  In the meantime, it was an achievement for me to go and get the total physical out of the way.  High five!

No comments:

Post a Comment