Monday, June 25, 2012

Year to Best: Act #7 - Eat In

One of my weaknesses (in the past) has been fast food...there were times when a McDonald's burger or some KFC just sounded so GOOD.  And it was simple, so I ate it.  Pretty often.  I never really got fat, I guess, but those meals, yummy as they were, never made me feel great.

It does take a long time to break a habit - I've read more than once that the science of the brain reveals that it takes doing something for a full month to make it a habit (and vice versa, takes NOT doing something for a month to BREAK a habit).  Over the past couple of years, I've been cooking more and more.  I've actually developed some recipes.  From my brain!

And now, I'm finally to a place where I usually prefer to come home and cook than to grab fast food.  There will always be times when I have to pop through a drive-thru, and some moments when I'll probably crave it and grab it.  But my general habit has shifted to buying lots of groceries and cooking at home.  That's a plus!  My cooking tends to be simple and clean - not a lot of ingredients, but fairly natural and wholesome ones.  (Except for the rare occasion when I just want fish sticks.  Don't judge!) 

This is one habit I am proud of, and I feel better due to its effects.  Eating out less saves us money, and makes us really enjoy those outings when we go for them - plus, the money saved on fast food means we can splurge on better meals when we do go out.  Score.

No comments:

Post a Comment