Monday, July 30, 2012

Year to Best: Act #17 - Conquer a Fear

By "conquer a fear", I don't mean something debilitating like a fear of failure or desertion.  I mean (don't laugh) - my fear of spin classes.

So, it's not really a FEAR, more like an extreme avoidance because my only memory of spin from college was terrible and painful and exhausting.

I've recently reached a bit of a plateau in some of my cardio classes, so I knew I needed to step it up.  Spin/cycle seemed an obvious choice, because they have classes every day and it's known to be a tough cardio workout.  I decided to suck it up and go for it.  My first class was pretty weak, but after about 20 minutes, the burning "we-hate-you" feelings in my legs subsided and I made it through the class OK.  After two more classes, I began feeling stronger and was able to push my resistance up to an intermediate level.  Sure, your rear may be a little sore after class, but the consistently elevated heart rate and calorie burn (for those looking to lose weight) are definitely worth it.  While it's not as entertaining as Zumba, it's a solid class added into my weekly rotation, and I'm glad I got over my mental block with it - it will add to my overall wellness.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment