Monday, July 30, 2012

Year to Best: Act #18 - Expanding My Mind

This is a touchy subject - people's beliefs.  I don't want to receive hate mail for posting this, as it's my blog about my personal journey.  I considered not posting at all, but I've reached a point where I simply want to be myself and express myself without being afraid of offending someone.  So, please, let me be me - no hate mail.

I've known for quite some time that I feel personally weakest at times in a couple of areas.  The fact was made concrete for me when I visited an intuitive healer and artist at an event two weeks ago, and she was immediately able to tune into me and tell me those two areas - creativity and spirituality.  How does one address these two areas of weakness?

Spirituality: I grew up in an area (geographically) of basically one belief and one belief only.  It's stunting, to say the least, to never be exposed to the rich belief systems that exist around the world; to be told there is only one correct way for every human to believe and live (which seems like garbage to me).  I was lucky enough to open up my brain in college to study belief systems in general.  What I found was that (A) most are far more similar than most people realize, and (B) I could admire and respect most all of them; they all involved good qualities, meaningful traditions, and wonderful people.  During my years since college, I have not been able to pinpoint a belief system that really resonates with me - and I looked into quite a few. What feels right to me is simple - nature, energy, and intention.  I think those three elements can create and manifest most anything.  I believe it's perfectly acceptable to gain insight and inspiration from belief systems and people across the globe; not to put oneself in a spiritual corner.  

Long story short, after a couple of events at The Inner Space (a local metaphysical shop and center for classes/learning), I am finding other people who feel as I do, and finding classes to explore these particular thoughts and ideas.  It's invigorating, to say the least.  I took an initial class, and it opened countless other doors that I want to walk through (mentally) - more to come!

Creativity: This is a tough one.  I've been told multiple times that I have a great deal of creative energy, but I simply never feel like it's true.  It's a source of frustration for me; I often feel like there's some sort of well of energy in me that I can't tap into, like it's behind a wall.  I felt creative as a child and teen - and even a young adult - what happened?  When did I switch it off?  I am still exploring it, but I did receive some advice on how to work toward unlocking those parts of me - this will be part of my journey of this year of wellness, too.

 

1 comment:

  1. I'm not surprised at all that you feel like your creativity was switched off. Think of all the times you're told as a child to stop goofing off and get serious. Art and creativity aren't valued as highly as business and making money in our society. Those who can combine the two are held up as the exception.

    When I was at my terrible, awful, no good job, my therapist advised me to make time for play, which he defined as doing something where you completely abandon your doubts, insecurities, etc. He compared it to a good water balloon fight. I like to think of it like a child who's so wrapped up in a world of make believe that they don't realize they're talking out loud or that people are watching.

    This is the book I was telling you about when we were at Inner Space but also check out Sark or Wreck this Journal.

    http://www.amazon.com/Artists-Way-Julia-Cameron/dp/1585421472/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1343995605&sr=1-1&keywords=artists+way

    ReplyDelete